Firstly, here's wishing everyone a very happy new year !!
Its been a long wait to this matchday in particular after we got the news of it being a double header for Chelsea and Southampton. For those who have just joint us, let me inform you that there is an extra match this matchday as Chelsea play Southampton at home on Wednesday.
Most of us must have changed our teams a million times in the last week with an overload of Chelsea and Southampton players and it does get tricky here as Benitez is famous for his rotaions. Chelsea have surplus of players for each spot.
Chelsea have had a terrible run in the recent 2 - 3 months. In the last 14 games they have managed just 4 wins, 4 draws and 6 loses. They have lost both of their last 2 home games ( against QPR and Swansea ). However on the plus side, on their day they can score as many goals they like. Just like the 8-0 against Aston Villa and 5-1 against Southampton.
Southampton on the other hand are coming into this match day with 2 draws in the last 2 away matches in the premier league.
Irrespective, more upside here with these two teams playing twice and we shall look at the best options to pick from these teams.
Lets get straight to our best picks this week :
1. BA : Having been rested in the Capital One cup and played only 12 mins, makes Ba a sure starter against Stoke. The question is whether he will get a chance to play against Southampton. Well my opinion is that a good performance against Stoke will make it tough for Benitez to bench him against Southampton. Its a risk worth taking in my opinion.
2. Lambert : I like the first game from Southampton against Aston Villa. This could see alot of goals. Also after seeing Chelsea let in 2 silly goals, it makes it more appealing to take a Southampton forward.
3. Berbatov : This just feels a week where we could see alot of goals for Fulham ( vs Wigan ) at home. He does get some big numbers when he strikes. I would take a punt on him this week.
You have to take your chance with the double header and hope for your picks to be picked for both the games. Mata looks great even though he has played most of the games in this packed schedule. You need to go into this week with the likes of Mata and Hazard as there could be fireworks against Southampton.
4. Bale : Has to be the pick of the midfielders and if your can afford him, its great.
5. Michu : He has been super since the very beginning and is in great form. Scoring the winner in his last 2 games and if you have had him since the beginning, its good.
6. Lampard : He was rested in the Capital One cup against Swansea and will surely start the game against Stoke. Like Ba he will have to earn his spot against Southampton. If it works out that way, you could be in for a big score with all the penalties etc
7. Fellaini : He is back and had 2 assists in the FA cup game last week end. He is undoubtedly in great form and is great as a fantasy pick. He could easily end up scoring more than the 2 gamers.
G. Ramirez : He seems to have got rid of his dead leg and looks fit for this matchday. He could be a good differential to have in your team. He is great for Southampton and will do well over the 2 games.
8. Luiz : Pick of the defenders as he is playing a much advanced role in midfield and taking all free kicks for his side. He is a must have for this double header.
9. Ivanovic : Even though Terry seems to have recovered, it should not degrade Ivanovic's place in the side as Cahill will be the obvious one to make it to the bench. Ivanovic does have an eye for goal and im sure he will have his chances. If you can get him, there is nothing like it.
10. Vertonghen : Good matchup and always threatening to score goals makes him one to watch out for. Although he is expensive , its a good pick for those who have picked him at a cheaper price.
Shaw : Looks like the pick of Southampton defenders. Not too sure of Fonte's injury, we will have to wait till Friday to find out. But Shaw looks good on the left wing and if you are looking for a southampton defender, he could be nailed on.
11. Turnbull : Looks great for the value and of whats in store this matchday. Need to pick him at any cost this week.
Option : Lloris Those of you who have it at a steal price, wouldnt mind holding onto him as he plays against QPR which could be a good one for him.
Well thats all we have in our preview for this double headed. Have a great weekend and do let us know of your team in the COMMENTS section below and our twitter @iFantasyEPL.